Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beginnings and Endings

I began this draft in March, during a brief philosophical sparring match, between John, Matt and myself on Matt's blog, ColonelLuftwaffe. It was Matt's inaugural blog, actually, describing himself and his views on religion. It quickly evolved/devolved into a pretty fierce and productive debate on the Prime Mover, though. The debate covered a lot of ground over a week or so, but ended in stalemate (as most discussions on religion do).

The point I was trying to make at the time was to discount the premise that an infinite sequence of causes, stretching backwards in time for infinity isn't necessarily an unacceptable solution. Discounting that possibility is the starting point for the debate on cosmology, which ends, of course in necessitating a Prime Mover, or First Cause (a cause which, itself, has no cause). I argued that has no experience, or understanding of either an infinite regression or an uncaused cause, so what makes one solution superior to another?

The idea has been rattling around in my head ever since, and it seems timely - considering the solstice and impending new year - to revisit.

Why can we not understand beginnings and ends?

Well... because we've never experienced them. What we've experienced are translations from one form to another. We've witnessed links in the chain of causality - that is how we think of beginnings and endings. The end of a movie leads to gathering outside to discuss, which ends by way of splitting up to our separate cars, which follows in a lovely dinner. The goat leads to a baby goat, which leads to an adult goat, which leads to my kebab, which leads to, etc etc. In our minds, it cannot be "turtles all the way down", but we also cannot conceive of a first turtle, floating just above nothingness.

So what? It's an interesting paradox, a stimulating academic discussion. No, it's more than that. Because at some point we're each going to stare it in the face, not in an academic setting, but in our lives, in the form of our own death. Someday, I'll witness my own end. The end of Me, and the end of Me-ness. I don't know if I will experience an afterlife, but every bit of scientific knowledge tells me that my Self is housed in my brain. And I know that my brain is going to fall apart. All of those little bits of memory, held together in networked synapses to make Me - will be worm food. That is very... final. It's a difficult notion to come to terms with.

My flesh is another link in the chain of causality. But the abstract notion of my Self will end, absolutely. What will a state of nothingness feel like? Well, there's nothing to feel, and nothing to be felt. I will be remembered, for a while, but those remembrances will be a shadow, an aspect reflected from other people's selves.

Where am I going with this? What am I doing? It's ironic that for a blog about beginnings and endings, I cannot think of an ending. Well, what better way to close the 2011 chapter of Dungy-blog than by quoting Dune:

"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: 'Now it’s complete because it’s ended here.'"

DONE

Postscript: I'm ending my "Hiatus", and I plan on blogging more frequently starting next month. Sometime in January I plan to do a "State of the Blog" blog, describing a vision for the next year, and I invite John and Matt to do the same. Naturally, coverage of the Primary will resume in earnest for the Iowa Caucus and onward. I hope I'm not alone in believing this has been a very good year. We've covered a lot of ground, and even though we have little viewership, and we're making no grandiose contribution to solving the world's woes, I still feel that we've hit a vein of good conversation. Something like that is both common yet rare - and definately uniquely good. Cheers to all, here's to an excellent 2012.

7 comments:

  1. "The debate covered a lot of ground over a week or so, but ended in stalemate"

    To be honest I wouldn't call it a stalemate. My respect for the cosmological and teleological arguments went down a few pegs because of that blog.

    "Someday, I'll witness my own end. The end of Me, and the end of Me-ness. I don't know if I will experience an afterlife, but every bit of scientific knowledge tells me that my Self is housed in my brain. And I know that my brain is going to fall apart. All of those little bits of memory, held together in networked synapses to make Me - will be worm food. That is very... final. It's a difficult notion to come to terms with."

    You are right. It is a difficult notion to come to terms with. One day your consciousness will simply cease to be. However, think of it like this. Though your last seconds (minutes, hours, weeks, months, years) might be terrifying as you reflect on the fact that this is the only life you know you are guaranteed, what you can rely on after death (if there is nothing after death) is peace – true and absolute peace. You’ll never have to worry about pain, anguish, and anxiety ever again. You won’t even have to care that you’re dead…you won’t be able to.

    Sometimes I think an afterlife is a far more difficult notion to come to terms with than simply ceasing to exist. Take the ever-so-popular Christian and Muslim concepts for example. What prospects do these religions prescribe for people like you and I after death? An eternity of torture and torment. Of course, we're not the only ones who have to worry about this. If you placed your faith in the wrong religion or half-assed your devotion you're probably going to Hell too. How can anyone find comfort in this notion?

    Perhaps even more disturbing is the concept of Heaven. A world of everlasting happiness? How is this even possible? How can God expect you to remain blissful when you know he allows people to suffer in Hell (HE ALLOWS YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO BURN IN HELL. Maybe it's your father or mother, spouse or children. Not everyone you know is going to make it). Furthermore, what is there to do in Heaven, anyway? How can one live forever and not expect to eventually get bored? I'd venture to say that God would have to alter your personality in order to counter these issues. So in this case it really wouldn't matter if there is life after death. You won't really be YOU anymore. You'll be whatever God wants you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought:

    Let's remove the possibility of Hell from the equation for a moment. Everyone gets into Heaven, period. Everlasting life, blissful existence with God. OK.

    I find that just as hard to compute (though not quite as scary) as death. It's another infinite chain, only this time stretching forward, starting with birth. I will continue without end - ever. The assurance that I'll enjoy it starts to wear thin after a few minutes of contemplating eternity, regardless of the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I think it's safe to assume God would have to alter people in such a way as to prevent them from being able to dwell upon boredom. Think about the oft disputed popular vision of te Muslim afterlife. Unlimited sex and booze! Woohoo! But even these pleasures would have to grow boring after 100 trillion years, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a different note, I do think this was a good year of conversation within our little group. I do wish we had more people to contribute to the discussion. Preferably people who are both intelligent and religious, so it's not just you and I versus John all of the time. We know we can't rely on John's mystery readership to add anything.

    I don't think I will be writing a "State of the Blog" blog. Mainly because I am unsure what I would put in it. I have no future plans for my blog. I just write what comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it would be better with at least a couple more voices. Or I'd take just one more.

    How do we get em, though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will hold auditions.

    I wrote another short blog. You should read it and tell me what you think. John should read it too...where is he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's got family issues.

    I'm John! I have a family! Near-death moments for my family cause me to shirk my blogging duties! I have to take care of my family! I do stuff on things!

    ReplyDelete