Monday, September 12, 2011

On 9/11

This is going to be short. The question is, does 9/11 matter anymore?

I'm not trying to be taboo for the sake of shock value, but the thought suddenly occurs. The #1 movie at the box office this past weekend was Contagion, a movie about a massive worldwide epidemic that reaches an apocalyptic level. So, Americans coped with the 10 year anniversary of what might have been the worst tragedy on American soil by seeing a movie about the worst tragedy on American soil? More importantly, studio bigwigs apparently calculated that no one would make the connection, or care enough to let that stop them from seeing the movie, with surety enough not to change the release date. And they were right.

I'm not saying that 9/11 isn't considered significant anymore. We're still feeling the affects in the way we conduct politics and in the two wars that are still ongoing. I'm just saying that I believe most people have moved on, emotionally, and this date has become just another anniversary to be acknowledged every year. Aside from a touching story I heard on NPR last week about Mychal Judge, a Franciscan friar who died at ground zero, this date has had no emotional impact for me. Besides the NPR thing, the only emotion I've felt is a slight irritation over the past weeks that I would soon be forced to recognize an arbitrary date and round number, and that current affairs will be suspended for this forced memorial. It's not that I don't care anymore, I do think of that day reflectively and with sobriety now and then, but the national remembrance has begun to feel forced and out of proportion.

Maybe I can only care so much for so long. It was a horrible thing, but it's been over for a while. The scale of this event was huge, but not unlimited. Even events as monumental as this cannot mean everything to everyone forever. Eventually we move on. It may take quite a long time, but all tragedies can eventually be sorted out and tucked away.

4 comments:

  1. I take it your initial question was not entirely in earnest, right?

    Of course it matters. Do I wake up each day and lament that day? No.

    But when prompted, either by news story, an anniversary or other stimuli Sept. 11 is brought back into my brain for a moment, I still feel it personally matter.

    On the large scale, sure Osama is dead but the ensuing invasion and presence in Afghanistan still goes on.

    The Patriot Act, basic airport security and a host of other things are near constant reminders of how big of a deal it was and the effects we still feel.

    I think you sense the adaptation we've all gone through. Yes, in one sense we are "over it." Just as I am over the death of my grandpa roughly a year ago.

    That doesn't mean I don' still feel the loss or that I won't miss him more on Christmas etc., just that life went on.

    No matter what the horrible tragedy, eventually we get back to life. That's humanity I think.

    The celebrations are overdone, especially at 10 years I think, because A) Nice round number and B) People are realizing they're getting over it and some of them probably feel a guilty need to punish themselves into tears over it.

    So, yes we've moved on, yes the celebrations were overblown but even so, I think the whole exercise was a good chance to really stop and reflect.

    So let's just hope 20 years doesn't get the same treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I was being earnest, but I did qualify it.

    The primary emotion connected with Sept 11th, for me, and I think for most, is fear. And I just don't feel that at all.

    The next is pity or sadness, and when I do try to feel that it's very muted.

    I acknowledge that the event is still, in fact, significant. It does matter. However, emotionally I think my investment in it is really receding fast. I don't really find myself personally connected to it anymore, and I can only assume that's typical of most. Maybe just most in middle america.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you honestly say that whenever you're prompted by a news story or other stimuli, that you feel something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that case, yeah, we're mostly over it. I don't feel fear about it but I remember feeling fear. I don't get sad about it but I remember being sad.

    I do feel those things over again if I really let myself face the memories, but I have little to gain by doing so, so no I don't feel something every time.

    ReplyDelete