Monday, November 7, 2011

Idea for Blog Event

I've got a topic - a sort of dilemma - that I want to throw out. I've been wondering about the ethics of voting in a primary. I've been thinking about this for a while, since the GOP campaign started.

My dilemma is this. One would think that the ethical way to vote is to vote for best candidate for the office in question. Right? But I keep finding myself rooting for someone like Herman Cain, or Michelle Bachman. I want to support a candidate for the GOP nomination, who is not only bad, but is well loved by the Tea Party. I want this person to go on to the general election and lose a brutally one-sided race to Obama. I don't want to see some plastic, generalist candidate like Romney get nominated. If he were to lose, the Tea Party (and establishment) would simply conclude that he wasn't sufficiently conservative, and they'd go on with the current insane course of action.

I want a ridiculous Tea Party cartoon candidate to get brutally raped by the American People in a landslide loss. I see it as the only way of killing the political movement that's grinding the system to a halt.

But is it ethical to do that? If I did that with Palin (were she running), and she ended up winning because of an unfortunately timed double-dip depression, wouldn't I be guilty?

My topic is this. What are the ethics of voting? Are they different in a primary rather than a general election? Must a person always be sincere in casting his vote? Or should the process just be seen as a way of getting a point across? Is it ever permissible to vote against something, by way of voting for it's opponent?

Let me know if you think you'd want to write on this. If we're all in agreement, I'll set a date (maybe a week out).

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. I'll be busy this weekend, so please set the date for sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I'll say next Friday, the 18th at 1PM, unless there are objections.

    ReplyDelete